Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fall Semester

Several friends have asked about what classes I'll be taking this semester, and I've realized in my attempts to describe what classes I'll be taking that 1.) I really have no idea what that heck I'm talking about and 2.) that perhaps sharing the course descriptions would give a little insight into some of what I'll be doing at Mars Hill. Here's the scoop....

Introduction to the Hermeneutical Task: The Art of Reading Beyond the Page

This initial course in biblical interpretation lays a foundation for the study of texts, particularly the Bible, as they relate to soul and culture. Students examine the history of Biblical interpretation, the task of finding meaning in the text, and philosophy's impact on what it means to be a reader. Students explore the theological, linguistic, literary, historical, sociological, and personal aspects of interpretation. Students consider the literal-grammatical-historical method of reading the text, as well as current issues in contemporary hermeneutics. Interpretation in the course introduces the art of reading and how this new way of reading can make a significant difference in the lives of readers and those with whom they relate.

Faith, Hope, Love: Ultimate Relational Concerns
This course considers the pursuit of meaning in the development of identity. The student will address the concept of maturity from a theological and psychological viewpoint especially in light of the New Testament letters of Paul. The course seeks to link mission and identity as a framework for considering one's calling and life.

Interpersonal Foundation: Dialogue and Presence
This course considers the incarnational relationship and what it means to be present in the face of the other. It seeks to develop a paradigm of listening and relating that is dialogical in its intent. The course will focus on theological and psychological paradigms of relationship.

Counseling Practicum I: Stories and Foundations of Dialogue
This introductory practicum provides the foundation for counseling training by means of group interaction with a faculty supervisor. The practicum provides training in listening and feedback skills. It also presents the opportunity for each student to consider personal matters that may impede or enhance their work as a counselor. In addition, the students meet weekly with a practicum facilitator.

Prayer I
To provide a solid foundation for spiritual enrichment, this course examines the theological and practical dynamics of prayer. Course content is implemented on a day-long silent retreat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so cool, Christine! How exciting!

Megan said...

that makes my head hurt :) maybe b/c most of the reading I do these days is "goodnight moon" & "dora goes to the beach."

i used to help todd study for hermeneutics when he was in seminary. pretty cool stuff.

hopefully we will talk soon. love you!

Anonymous said...

Christine,

Looks interesting. With the exception of the counseling stuff (which I would, no doubt, be terrible at), these courses all look like those that I would enjoy taking. I think you're going to have an interesting year.

Abomb