Friday, November 21, 2008

picky, picky

I used to be a really picky eater. And by some people’s standards I still am. But, in my book you have to consider how faaaaar someone has come before you conclude someone is picky.

In high school, one of my friends had a formal dinner party and her mom made a delicious meal. She knew I was picky, and I think most of the things on the menu were foods I would eat, or so she thought. She made fresh green beans, specifically because she knew I liked green beans, but I wouldn’t eat them. I politely told her I only ate canned green beans! To this day, that story gets told and retold about my picky eating habits.

Today, I began getting recipes in the mail for a recipe shower I’m doing for my sister who’s getting married in January. (I’ve asked friends and family to compile recipes and send them to me so I can collect them for Anna.) One of my aunts mailed me a couple of recipes, and I couldn’t resist sharing.

Anna’s Nachos
Go to Taco Bells (as Anna called it).
Purchase an order of nacho chips and cheese.
Bring home and let Anna eat all of the cheese.
Discard chips.
(She did warn me before buying that all she would eat was the cheese and as usual I bought anyway. –Nancy)

Fall Children Macaroni and Cheese
1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese
Buy boxed macaroni and cheese (the kind with the tiny macaroni noodles).
Make according to package instructions.
Do not attempt to vary ingredients or instructions as this will cause the dish to have to be discarded as no one will eat.
By all means never, ever make homemade macaroni and cheese, or you’ll just have to go to the store and buy the boxed kind.

Moral of the story: CLEARLY, change is possible. I love homemade macaroni and cheese, and my sister has branched out and is now eating chips with her nacho cheese.

1 comment:

Megan said...

funny! i agree - it's not how picky you are today, but how far you've come. i'm still picky, but i've added tons of food to my list since i got married 9.5 years ago!!!