Thursday, January 25, 2007

Selecting a Target in Starbucks

Ever heard of a book called The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists? Yeah, me neither until Saturday afternoon.

My friend Chrissy and I were at Starbucks visiting, getting coffee, and catching up on each other’s lives. I noticed a couple of guys across the coffee shop regularly looking our way, but didn’t think anything about it. As we were getting our stuff together to leave, they approached us. One of them, let’s call him Eric, tried some line about us having matching purses. It didn’t go over too well; our purses weren’t remotely matching. So, then Eric asked what we were doing that night. When that didn’t get him anywhere, he asked directly if we were single. With that comment, I was done. I had no desire to even remotely continue the conversation. Who walks up to girls and asks, “hey, are you single?!” Of course, that was MY thought. I could tell Chrissy was eager to continue the conversation, so we chatted a little with Eric and his friend Jason. Chrissy spotted a gold leafed book in Eric’s bag that looked like a Bible and asked him what it was. Eric got a bit embarrassed and answered, “It’s the King James Version 7. Are you familiar with it?” Great, I thought, we have a couple of guys trying to hit on us and lo and behold, they are in a cult. Chrissy asked to see the book. Yeah, not a King James 7 Version of the Bible. It was a black leather bound, gold leafed book called The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists, and Chrissy had just busted the guys while they were trying to get us to go out with them that night. We all died laughing. It was so funny.

After getting their real intentions out in the open, the guys were incredibly eager to share all of the knowledge they’ve learned from their pickup artist bible. The book has diagrams about how to approach a girl or a group of girls and tips on what to say and what to say if what you initially say doesn’t go over too well. Yes, the first title of this book is called “Select a Target.” Need I mention the chapters titled “Extract to a Seduction Location” or “Pump Buying Temperature”??! I honestly had no idea there were books out there like this.

Eric and Jason told us a few stories about their experiences applying the tips in their beloved book and we all went our separate ways…laughing. Seriously, The Rules has nothing on The Game.

1 comment:

texasinafrica said...

Hahahahahaha!!! I would've loved to have seen the look on your faces when you figured it out!