Monday, April 30, 2007

My city

I love Memphis....and I hate Memphis. I feel both of these emotions very strongly, sometimes at the same time. At some point this city worked itself into my heart, and I often don't know what to do with the conflicting feelings I have about my current home. I have a friend (Janel!) who always talks about "her city" and I've wondered if everyone really has a city to call his or her own. I don't know if Memphis is "my city" but I know that Memphis more than any other place brings out passionate responses in me.

The Memphis-related issue that brings the most conflict in my own heart is over race. This is a city where race cannot be ignored. No matter how much people want to ignore the racial issues and tensions that exist here, the tensions are so strong that you just cannot ignore them.

I've been reminded this week that God is at work in my city...dealing with people and forcing us to consider our hearts toward people of a different race. Sometimes, often actually, I forget that He is at work. I forget that the walls of "protection" and isolation that we build up, God can tear down. Thank God He is able and does tear them down. God is working...sewing gutwrenching seeds for redemption.

No comments: