Thursday, September 6, 2007

part of living in seattle?

I've learned a few things since arriving in Seattle. One of the things I didn't know before moving here was that the house I was moving into had and has a spider problem. We're not talking little spiders or granddaddy long leg spiders, we're talking HUGE, very able bodied spiders that seem to be most at home in our bathroom shower. Now I understand that some people are able to simply ignore the spider in the shower....or wait for someone else to find it, but I can't stand the thought of them crawling around my house. I'm told this spider issue is a seasonal thing; however, I'm not sure when this "season" will end. So, if you have any suggestions about how to get rid of spiders, I want to know. We have some sort of plug-in devices that are supposed to emit a sound that deters spiders, but I'm not convinced that the plug-ins are actually doing anything.

4 comments:

texasinafrica said...

A blog I read just featured the death of a spider via hedge clippers.

But you're probably looking for something a bit less violent. Sorry I can't help more. In Africa, I squish them. :)

Southpaw said...

Okay, maybe we are not coming!! We did a spider bomb under our house when we had wolf spiders...haven't seen one since.

texasinafrica said...

Did you solve this? :)

Christine said...

so we have hobo spiders in our house, and until mid-October, it's mating season. according to all of the websites about hobo spiders about the only way to kill them is to actually squish them or strategically place sticky traps in locations that they frequent. we now have an abundance of sticky traps placed throughout the basement and have caught at least one spider already. i haven't been brave enough to examine the traps after seeing the first one because my encounter with the first spider on the sticky stuff creeped me out.